Images courtesy of Amazon
If you are interested in making bread for yourself and your whole family then I hope this in depth review of the Zojirushi Supreme will help you decide if this is the right breadmaker for you.
With the Zojirushi Bakery Supreme you can be sure of a quality product. The Zojirushi breadmaker is produced in Japan and the Zojirushi brand has a reputation as one of the leading breadmaker manufacturers in the market and has made breadmakers since 1988. Since they have been in the business of manufacturing breadmakers for over 25 years they have been able to develop and improve their products, during this time.
Is the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme Machine for you?
Does your family eat a lot of bread? The Zojirushi produces loaves that weigh up to 2 lbs, and will happily turn out plenty of loaves for you to eat.
This breadmaker is for you if you are passionate about the food that you eat. Perhaps you don’t like the taste of mass manufactured bread, you worry about the additives in the bread that you buy, or you want to a make a type of bread that is not readily available or is expensive e.g. sourdough or rye bread. Also eating organic foods could be a priority for you.
I feel the Zojirushi machine is for the serious home breadmaker. This is because the breadmaker is fairly bulky and heavy and will take up considerable space on your countertop, so you need to ask yourself if your commitment to bread making is enough to warrant using up this amount of space in before making the decision to purchase.
The dimensions of the Zojirushi breadmaker are 17″x12″x9″.
The breadmaker weighs 25 pounds so this is not the sort of appliance that you can easily put into a cupboard when not in use.
What is the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme 2-Pound-Loaf Breadmaker capable of?
The internal dimensions of the baking pan are 5″ x 9″ x 5″. There is an allowance on the top of the machine for the bread to rise over the height of the baking pan during cooking. So is easily capable of producing 2 pound loaves.
Apart from making your standard everyday loaves of bread you can experiment with a wide range of different bread types and dough. For example the Zojirushi has settings that allow you to make pizza dough, sourdough, fruit breads and rye breads. You can also make meatloaf, cakes, jam and jelly in the machine.
What features come with the Zojirushi 2 lb bread maker
- Easy to clean 2 pound non-stick bread baking pan. Great I hate cleaning pans that have baked on bread on them.
- Two dough paddles to ensure good kneading.
- A timer delay of up to 13 hours, so you can program your bread to be made early in the morning ready for breakfast. The machine is quiet in it’s operation, this means you won’t be woken by sound of the bread being kneaded in the middle of the night.
- 3 crust control features.
- Comes with a useful recipe booklet, instruction DVD and manual.
- A quick cycle that can produce a loaf of bread in around 2 hours.
- Numerous settings for different types of bread, sourdough, and jam.
- A function that will prepare a sourdough starter. This is is useful if you have made sourdough bread you will know how messy to is to make.
- Can memorize up to 3 functions of your own settings so you can replicate any recipe you make regularly.
- Alarm to let you know when to add extra ingredients this is useful of you want to add fruit, nuts or other extras to the dough after kneading.
- Easy to use touch LCD control panel
- Comes with measuring spoons.
- Viewing window it’s allows you to view the progress of your bread making I find the whole process completely fascinating and I would not be able to stop peeking….
- Function to allow the bread to remain warm in the pan for up to 30 minutes.
- A very useful function is the way the Zojirushi will resume after a power interruption.
How to use the Bread Machine
The Zojirushi breadmaker comes with comprehensive instructions so you will need to follow these the first few times you make a recipe. If you regularly make a recipe then you will soon be able to make the bread without looking up the recipe.
For a simple loaf, you add the flour, yeast, salt and water into the baking pan, and set the machine to make the loaf of bread for you. It is as simple as that. The machine does the work and thinking for you.
Pros of the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme 2-Pound-Loaf Breadmaker
- You don’t have to spend a lot of time and energy hand kneading bread. Also I don’t know about your but I make a terrible mess of the kitchen when I hand knead dough. Or if you use a stand mixer for kneading your dough you don’t have to wash the bowl and the hook up.
- The recipe booklet contains plenty of other recipes to try out from jam to meatloaf. This makes the Zojirushi much more versatile so will earn its keep.
- Using the preset buttons you can organize to have your bread ready whenever like.
- If you are a novice bread maker this machine will take away all the skill required to make a loaf of bread.
- Plenty of opportunity to experiment and make exactly the loaf to your taste.
- You are not using your oven to heat up the whole kitchen, as you would when baking bread in an oven, making the machine more economical on power. This is an added advantage in the summer when putting the oven on would be too much heat to bare.
- For me a great is the function that allows you to make sourdough. My husband is slightly gluten sensitive and can only tolerate bread if it is sourdough. Sourdough is a right pain in the neck to make by hand.
- Less washing up all you have the wash up after the loaves are cooked is the bread pan, and the measuring spoons. Compared to the mess I make when making bread by hand this is a huge time saver.
Cons of the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme 2-Pound-Loaf Breadmaker
- It is an expensive piece of equipment to buy, you need to make sure that you are going to use the machine regularly to make it’s purchase worthwhile.
- This is a general disadvantage for all home breadmakers, you end up with some holes in the bottom of the loaf caused by the location of the dough kneading blades.
- I personally never find the crust on the loaves is quite as good as can be achieved in an over. This is a minor quibble compared to the convenience of the breadmaker.
- If you are a really keen cook you are missing out on learning how to make bread by hand. By this I mean you don’t get that opportunity and education to feel how the dough feels in your hands.
Is it Worth Making Your Own Bread?
Before you start to make trying to work out if making your own bread is worthwhile make sure you are doing the correct comparison. If you are going to compare the price of a cheap commercially made loaf of sliced white from your supermarket to a home baked loaf then making your bread at home won’t ever compete against those prices. As I write this you can buy a loaf of bread in Walmart for under $1.50, yet a local artisan baker is selling a small organic whole grain loaf for $5.
For this reason you should compare the loaves you make at home to an artisan bakery product. We all know how expensive those loaves of bread can be.
Also over time you can make the loaves of bread exactly to your taste. With some simple experiments with settings and changes in ingredients you have a loaf tailored to you and your families tastes.
If your family are looking for a way to provide plenty of good quality bread on a daily basis then the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme is definitely for you. If you are concerned about what your family eats and want to control the quality and type of flour (e.g. organic) and other ingredients that go into your bread then this machine should be perfect for you. Really you just can’t beat homemade bread.